benefit fraud  

benefit fraud in the UK

  reporting benefit fraud

As the DWP say, some people assume that benefit theft applies only to those who are working for 'cash in hand' whilst claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance. But it's much more than that.

Benefit theft also includes people deliberately not telling the DWP:

  • when they start living with a partner - "single person fraud" is one of the commonest types of benefit fraud

  • about any savings or not declaring the right amount

  • that they have started work, or about any earnings

  • that they have inherited money

  • that they are going abroad, living abroad, or have changed address

  • that children have left home.

You can report benefit fraud online here, or telephone the National Benefit Fraud Hotline free on 0800 854 440. They also take reports of military benefit fraud.

The online reporting form is quite good, because it gives you the chance to leave lots of useful details about the offender.

You don't have to leave information about yourself. The reports can be anonymous.

Local councils have their own benefit fraud lines too.

Fraud investigators received almost 400,000 tip-offs in 2011 – a 55% increase on 2005 levels.

How do I report disabled blue badge fraud?

Blue badges are issued by local authorities, and they deal with frauds.

Contact the section responsible for issuing the badges. Often this is the Parking section. Some authorities have a specific section for Parking Fraud.

You may want to consider photographing the miscreant in the act, if you can do it without risk. Please let me know how you get on.